The promise ring is a symbol of commitment and is often seen as a pre-engagement ring. However, it can be given for many reasons: as a symbol of chastity, loyalty, monogamy, friendship or even a promise to oneself to stay sober. If you want to buy a promise ring for your loved one to represent your commitment, it will be important to clarify what promise you are making.
Choose a ring
Know the purpose and predict the reaction of who receives it. If you’re going to give a promise ring as a symbol of your friendship or love, someone you’ve been dating recently, choose something simple and inexpensive. If your partner is waiting for a proposal of marriage, then buy a less culturally evident jewel or make the decision to exchange these rings in advance so you do not disappoint him with a surprise misinterpreted.
Choose something that the recipient puts on. If you do not wear rings, put the ring on a chain or give a different “gift of promise”. Try to find out your ring size by temporarily “stealing” one of your own, then ask a jeweler to measure it.
- If the recipient has a job or hobby that can wear or scratch the ring (for example, if you do masonry or mountaineering), choose a resistant material such as titanium.
- If the ring is a promise to engage in marriage in the future or is a “wedding ring” for a couple who does not plan to marry, choose one that remains on the ring finger of the left hand or wherever your partner has thinking about putting on a wedding ring.
- For almost all other promise rings, choose one that fits on any finger (usually the index finger of the right hand, which may be different in size from the left).
Examine the engraved rings, also called “poesy” rings. They are metal rings with a poem, promise of love or other inscription engraved on the inner surface, next to the skin of the wearer. These are an excellent choice, as they are usually different from wedding rings and show a promise. recorded.
- A jeweler can help you make your own ring of this style and you can record a personal message for that special person you love so much.
- Many “poetry” rings quote verses from the Bible or other Christian inscriptions, but the tradition has expanded into secular society and other religious couples.
Take into account the Claddagh rings. These originated in Ireland and show two hands together holding a heart. This visual sign of love or friendship is an affectionate reminder of commitment.
Ask if you can customize it. Almost all jewelers will gladly design or customize a ring and add some special elements, such as engraved messages or unique and meaningful embellishments.
Think of other options. A promise ring should not be so expensive or elaborate to the point of being confused with a wedding ring, but one with significant and special details will make the promise weightier. Consider buying a ring that has the birthstone of that special person or a personalized engraving for that person.
- If you do not have the money to buy a jewel or if that person prefers less elaborate gifts, make your own jewel or other gift such as “a stuffed animal with a heart that carries candy inside.” If you can, use some material or object that has a special meaning in your relationship.
- A chain, earrings or other jewel are also good as symbols. We recommend this option especially if your partner is anxious that you propose marriage and do not want to give another understanding.
- If you find it hard to decide or just like this idea, ask the recipient if he would like an exchange of promise rings and then discuss how to choose a matching pair.
Find out your ring size. If it’s going to be a surprise, it should not be very obvious that you’re trying to find out. You can measure a ring that you already have and that feels good, or ask your family or friends if they know your size. If you still do not have it clear, look for rings that can be adjusted afterwards.
Assemble the gift
Choose a meaningful day A promise ring could be a suitable gift for Christmas, Valentine’s Day or the birthday of the recipient. If you are in a loving relationship, an excellent day could be the anniversary date when you started dating.
Give the ring in a significant place. Go to the restaurant where they had their first date, to the concert hall where you met your friend for the first time or to any place that you and that person remember fondly.
Do not be exaggerated. This is not a marriage proposal. You will not have to hire a plane to write something