Are you looking for simple and easy projects to make paper hearts? There are many different ways to make them, whether for decorations, gifts or ornaments. They are simple to make and are also great projects for children. If you follow a few steps, you can create a nice paper heart!
Make a paper heart ornament
Make this paper heart ornament to have a fast and simple decoration of a hanging heart. These ornaments are beautiful and creating them only takes a few minutes, which makes them ideal for garlands. They consist of strips of paper folded into a heart shape.
Cut nine strips of paper. Use tough paper, such as construction paper or one of a scrapbook that has drawings. You will need nine strips of four different lengths and each of them must be 5 cm (2 inches) wide.
- Three strips must be 25 cm (10 inches) long.
- Two strips must be 32 cm (12.5 in) long.
- Two strips should be 40 cm (15.7 inches) long.
- Two strips must be 50 cm (19.7 inches) long.
Stack the strips one on top of the other in the correct order. You must stack them in a specific order so that the proper pattern is formed in the paper heart.
- Stack four of the strips one on top of the other starting with the smallest to the largest until you have used one of each size. The largest must be on the bottom while the smallest must be on top of all.
- Fold the stack so that the largest strip is at the top. Place another of the smaller strips on top of the first 50 cm (19.7 in). This new strip will stay in the center and help you hang the paper heart.
- Stack the remaining strips on top of the others from the largest to the smallest until you have used them all. This means that the largest strip will be on top of the smallest one that you placed underneath and the rest will be on top. In the end, the smallest strip will once again be on top of all of them.
Staple the strips. Make sure the base of all the strips are perfectly aligned with each other. Place a single clip through the bottom to hold all the strips.
- Fold the strips one by one towards the base of the stack of paper. Hold the stack at the bottom near the stapled area and fold the strips to your fingers. Starting with the smallest strip on each side, fold all the strips toward the staple located at the base of the stack.
- Fold each of the four strips on the right side starting with the smallest and ending with the longest. Take them to the right side of the staple at the base of the stack.
- Fold the four strips from the opposite side down and to the left.
- Do not bend the center strip and hold the pile with the thumb and forefinger at the base of the heart.
- Be careful not to fold the paper while folding it.
Staple the whole base of the heart. Doing so will keep all the strips in place. Use as many staples as necessary to keep the strips folded in place.
- You may also need to place staples along the stem to help the heart form and stay that way. These staples could be visible so it depends on you if you want to place them or not.
Drill a hole in the center strip. Use a hole punch to make a small hole in the top of the center strip.
- Center the hole and place it approximately 2.5 cm (1 inch) away from the top edge.
Insert a string through the hole. Pass a rope, a ribbon, a piece of string or a length of string of great length through the hole and tie it with a loop. You can use this loop to hang the heart ornament.
- Hang the ornament. Now that you have completed the paper heart, you can hang it wherever you want. If you wish, you can also make additional ornaments and join them in a garland.